Saturday, May 23, 2020



The Banbridge born man Joseph Scriven... - Banbridge Area News ...
The Blue Plaque    is a program in the UK and elsewhere to tell people something or someone important, happened at that place or building.

The Scriven Lodge is such a home, in Banbridge, Ireland.  As I read family stories about Ireland. They say the Scrivens lived in the "Lodge".  I always imagined it was a large building in town. I thought it must be a huge building to house so many people.  
It came as a huge surprise to learn it is actually a large country estate farm!  The Lodge being the house on it! 

My Jane was born in England after the Scrivens left Ireland to send the boys to school.  She never lived in the Lodge, but Joseph and his brothers & older sister did.  


Here I am on the left and May Kirkpatrick, current owner of the property. It was a very windy evening and so cold. But we popped outside for a quick pic ... May was a good sport

                                                         
 Here May is again holding an old photo of the Lodge they found.  Me enjoying some welcome tea and cakes.  Window behind me if front of home. Blue plaque is just outside.  Can you see how thick the walls are. Not framed wood. Solid mortar & brick? at least my forearm length thick.  You don't feel or hear the wind inside this home.


Irene enjoying her tea & cake.  Noel & May Kilpatrick, current owners of the Lodge home & property.  So kind to show me the house and upstairs.  I came to tears picturing how old family must have bustled about the house.  If only I could have done this when any of them were alive.

A good story how Alan actually found me to contact. I had written to the Lodge several years ago. Looking to visit with any current owners and visit with them.  A son had however used my letter to quickly jot some information notes on the back of the envelope and it got mislaid.  When Alan was working on the book, the Kilpatricks pulled out the envelope and passed it along to him.  A good reason to hang onto your old email address's as you never know!

Happy Trails, Katie     May 23, 2020



No comments:

Post a Comment