Saturday, July 3, 2010

SCRIVEN surname Saturday

.
.
JANE BURY SCRIVEN EVANS


It's all in the name isn't it. Some of my greatest help has come from using the old formula for naming. This has given me tremendous breakthru's in working on people, especially in the UK, Ireland, Europe and beyond.
Wish it had entered my mind when I had my own girls 30+ years ago. I might have named them a schoosh differently. Either of them would have got an Alice or a Kay or Katie.

I am Kay "Katie" Alice Cox- Morris.
My mother was Martha "Kay" Alice Cluver -Cox.
Her grandmother was Alice "Alla" Hinkston- Cluver.
Her mother-in-law was Catherina Margarethe Cluver- Cluver.
Her mother was Catherina, and so on, and so on .....

Jane was named for her mother, Jane Medlicott ( aka Mrs. Captain John Scriven )
Bury comes down from the Barclay, Robert Barclay " The Apologist" Quaker, on Captain John's side ( & also the line of Jane's husband, Edward ).
Scriven also comes down on the line of Jane's husband, Edward.
Jane & Edward were 2nd cousins.

I have used the old naming formula as a great aid in helping me work on names. This chart has given me tremendous help in finding information on names. Look at your people, see what names are in the middle - search those middle names - you'll come up some great information you didn't even think of looking for.

********************************************************

.Irish Naming Patterns


1st son was usually named after the father's father
2nd son was usually named after the mother's father
3rd son was usually named after the father
4th son was usually named after the father's eldest brother
5th son was usually named after the mother's eldest brother

1st daughter was usually named after the mother's mother
2nd daughter was usually named after the father's mother
3rd daughter was usually named after the mother
4th daughter was usually named after the mother's eldest sister
5th daughter was usually named after the father's eldest sister

**************************************************************


Copy this, use it. I've kept a copy in front of my eyes - on the cork board I have on the wall, at the back of my desk. I do the same thing with the 'days of the week' for this Blog, Monday Madness ... Tuesday Tombstone ... ...... a note tacked on the board where I can see it and not have to look it up all the time.

Have a Great 4th of July, Happy Trails Katiebird













2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, its lovely to have come across your blog. The names issue was a real headache for me. I am currently putting together a book with another lady about Kilbroney Parish Church. Rev. Edward John Evans was our first minister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pauline, I'm so sorry I haven't seen your above til just now. I do apologize. That is great your are doing the book. I wish I had had more time on my visit to just sit around town and soak it all up more. I loved every bit of it. My volunteer pen-pals 10 years ago sent me better photos of town than I ever got on my trip. I have wanted to write over to Kilbroney but have been so busy. I am taking time off work with the Covid 19 and hope to have more time for myself now, til I go back to work. If I have any information you want, your welcome to it. Can't think if I have put Rev. Evans - a photo of his wife - on the blog but I do have one. Was meaning to send a copy over to the Church for interest. In my searching I received copies of the births & deaths of Rev. Evans children, who are also buried in the old yard. 1 daughter was 18, so sad, any age, and a younger boy, George? I want to say 8. Sorry typing off the top of my head without looking at data. Does your own families go back in the old days? It is so much fun to look for info. By now you may have already got it all done, but if I can supply anything at this late date, I am happy to oblige. Again sorry for not seeing this sooner, best of luck Katie

      Delete